Our mission is to create a sustainable and effective learning environment by strengthening the agricultural foundation of San Gabriel, providing classroom goals, accessibility for volunteers and needs based fundraising.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Reflection

I’ve spent the last 8 months working to develop a small school in Cusco, Peru.  Now, I’m back in the United States trying to readjust to my former life. My experience in Peru has given me  new focus and direction. While I have felt passion and dedication towards education in the past, I have never felt the sense of urgency and  purpose like I did during my time at Helping Hands.  The world seems smaller to me now.  

I made the following observations:
The problems that students face in Peru are so similar to those that students face in the United States and in many countries around the world.  Adequate access to water, healthy food and education seem to be a common theme. These problems may present themselves differently from country to country but share common roots and can benefit from common solutions.  I am eager to share what I learned in Peru with schools in my community hoping to demonstrate connections, build relationships and brainstorm ideas for solutions.

It seems to me that the story is all too often about budget cuts and lack of funding for school supplies.  Students world wide are facing health problems as a result of malnutrition or poor nutrition.  There are simple steps any school can take to work towards solving these problems. For example, incorporating the use of recycled materials to grow food or for classroom use is a good idea for everyone.  Different schools may have different motiviations to incorporate trash into their daily operations but the end results are the same. San Gabriel Kindergarten in Cusco, Peru recycles because it is one of the only ways to provide financially disadvantaged students with supplies/tools for learning whereas a school in the USA might recycle because they are trying to teach students to be conscious of trash and waste.  Either way, trash can provide free materials and kids can learn to reuse and recycle garbage in turn helping the environment.  Each group can learn from the other.

My work in Peru was just the beginning for me and the experience provided the inspiration I needed to continue in the United States and abroad.   

1 comment:

  1. Interesting observation about the trash. I like your philosophy behind it. Can you tell us more about other shared problems or solutions that exist between the schools in two countries?

    ReplyDelete